Wednesday, January 2, 2008

A Rocky Start to 2008

Personally, I was quite fortunate to ring in the new year with friends while on a short but sweet holiday. Unfortunately, when I came back most of the international news I saw was terrible. First Benazir Bhutto was assassinated and then I heard about all the crazy rioting and killing in Kenya as a result of disputed elections.

Although we don't purchase from any groups in Pakistan, I have visited the country and encountered incredibly friendly people and Ms. Bhutto was my commencement day speaker in college so I have a warm place in my heart for this nation. As for Kenya, I've been fortunate to visit many times both for work and pleasure and have made good friends there. It is a country that over the past four years I have found relatively easy to work in, and I always had the feeling that people took pride in the progress Kenya has made in working to reduce corruption and increase individual opportunity.

Let's hope these two sad crises can somehow shock people into positive action and make 2008 a truly great year, and not one full of even more destruction.

No comments: